Push notifications trigger as they appear on top of windows and attract attention. They win over other promotion formats. After all, banners may not be displayed due to an ad blocker, and emails may not be displayed due to anti-spam. The user subscribes to push notifications consciously and independently.
What is push traffic
Push traffic is those users who went to the page with the offer by clicking on the push notification. These notifications are configured to notify website visitors of news and promotions.
Push notifications consist of small text and an icon with an image. They appear in a pop-up window and stay in front of your eyes for a few seconds on top of open pages. For example, in the upper right corner of the screen. The push then disappears from the display and goes to the Notification Center.
First, let’s look at the benefits of push notifications:
- The user himself subscribes to them. For example, he clicks on “yes” when he sees a pop-up question, “Would you like to receive our news?”. A person always has a choice to unsubscribe.
- High conversion. Since the user has subscribed, they are potentially interested in promotional offers.
- Ease of setup. Push networks ad cabinets are much simpler than Facebook Ads.
- Low rates. Push traffic is considered one of the cheapest, CPCs depending on geo from $0.003 to $0.01.
- Loyal moderation. Push networks skip gray offers. For example, you can pour on gambling, betting, crypto, nutra without a cloak.
Push notifications and push traffic have some drawbacks:
- No narrow targeting. It is impossible to select the gender and age of users, and their interests.
- Based on the above, traffic is not always targeted and of high quality.
- High competition and overlapping audiences. Hundreds of affiliate marketing specialists advertise the same offer using push notifications. The user will ignore a notification that has been seen many times.
Push notifications are actively used in advertising offers of such verticals as:
- dating, adult;
- gambling and betting, casino beating schemes;
- binary options, crypto;
- information products, for example, courses that teach earnings, cryptocurrencies;
- software, such as VPN, and antivirus programs;
- mobile installations;
- SP-offers – subscriptions;
It is desirable that the offers are simple and do not require labor costs from users. People interested in these offers are looking for entertainment or quick money. They are loyal to push notifications, especially when the creative hits their interests. For example, a date with a beautiful girl or a paid webinar that will make them rich.
When choosing an offer, it is important to ensure that the affiliate program accepts push traffic. Also, when choosing an advertising network, you must familiarize yourself with its policy regarding gray offers. For example, there are networks where it is forbidden to promote adult.
Push traffic can be bought from ad networks specializing in this ad format — examples of such networks: Richads, Propellerads, Exoclick.
Advertising push networks work with publishers, webmasters of sites that collect a specific target audience. These are often entertainment platforms, for example, about humor, games, or news portals.
When an affiliate launches an advertising campaign with push notifications, he can track the amount of traffic from certain sites. Publisher sites are grouped into so-called zones. If there is little traffic from the zone, it must be disabled by placing it on the blacklist. This will help save the budget.
Ad networks do not narrowly target users by gender, age, or hobbies. However, you can target:
- platform – mobile or desktop;
- Internet provider and type of connection;
- Subscription age, database activity — for those who subscribed recently or long ago.
The last parameter is important. If you do not consider the subscription age, you can drain the budget for a burnt-out audience – those who have seen the offer many times. Ad networks offer to target for several cohorts, groups of users by subscription age:
- 0 – these are the most “fresh” users; they are interested in receiving notifications and convert better. Here it is desirable to set high rates (bids).
- 1-3 are active users, but they convert slightly lower. You can set average rates.
- 3+ – users are most likely stolen, but not all, so this group needs to be tested. It is better to set low or recommended bids.
It is possible to run multiple campaigns. For example, you can separately test a mobile and desktop campaign. In both cases, the text size is different: on a PC, the push notification is larger and longer than on a smartphone.
You need to run different campaigns for different geos. Do not ignore “non-standard” geos, for example, Tier-3 – there may be an interested audience.
Separately, you can manage the schedule for displaying push notifications: select the days and time intervals when users should see ads. You should focus on the behavior of the target audience. For example, when a person is relaxing at home in the evening, he will respond better to an offer to chat with a girl than when he is in the office at a meeting.
It is important to set a daily budget limit in the early stages. This will allow you to control costs, and not drain too much money.
Push traffic is often recommended to novice affiliates as a relatively easy type of advertising to set up. To make money on push traffic, you need:
Step 1. choose an affiliate program, decide on an offer, and geo;
Step 2. draw up a portrait of the target audience;
- create creatives — notification text and image, landing and pre-landing;
- choose an advertising push network;
- set up a tracker – this is important for deep analytics and optimization;
- set up a campaign and run hypothesis testing;
- analyze the first results;
- optimize the campaign, exclude sites from which there is little traffic or users who do not make purchases (trash);
- analyze ROI and withdraw earned money.
During testing, collecting all the tracker’s data is important. You need to define indicators and criteria for working with test results, for example:
- 20 conversions received – testing can be considered sufficient;
- if the zone has merged the conversion cost into minus one, add it to the blacklist;
- analyze what specifically converts: what browsers, platforms, display time, subscription age;
- track the creative’s CTR — if it’s lower, it’s time to change the creative.
Push notifications will be shown to people with different device types and display sizes. Therefore, when preparing creatives, it is important to do the following:
- image and icon – distinguishable, contrasting;
- headline – catchy, with emotions, causing curiosity;
- the text is capacious, informing the benefit to the user.
It is better to prepare five or more creatives to test them and determine the most converting one. Ideas and trends can be viewed on spy services. But for each campaign, you need to create a unique creative. If you use a copied one, there is a risk that users have seen it many times and will no longer pay attention.
Push traffic is one of the cheapest types of traffic: to get started, it is enough to have a starting budget of $50 or more. Working with push networks, in general, is not difficult, but when draining, it is important to monitor indicators and analyze the campaign. It is necessary to make changes to the settings in time. For example, disable non-converting sites, and monitor the CTR of creatives. The results and experience gained will help you launch profitable campaigns with push traffic in the future.